The Estonian-Chinese Chamber of Commerce is thrilled to announce the open call for applications to the World Internet Conference Global Youth Leadership Program and becoming the Youth Representative to the World Internet Conference Summit in Wuzhen.
What is the World Internet Conference?
Starting from 2014, the World Internet Conference Wuzhen Summit has achieved a remarkable nine-year run of consecutive success. Throughout this span, the Summit has consistently gathered intellectual insights, fostered agreement, and advanced digital collaboration. It has evolved into a distinguished global arena with the overarching objective of advocating for the mutual advantages and collective management of the Internet. Furthermore, it seeks to facilitate the exchange and collaboration within the realm of the digital economy. This evolution has garnered significant international attention, robust backing, and broad acknowledgment.
In the month of July, 2022, the World Internet Conference took a significant stride by formally establishing itself as an international organization. Its primary aim is to construct a worldwide platform characterized by comprehensive consultations, collaborative contributions, and shared gains within the realm of the Internet. This endeavor is designed to steer the international community toward embracing the trends of digitization, interconnectedness, and intelligence in the information era. By collectively addressing security challenges, the intention is to generate heightened benefits for individuals and to cultivate a sense of a unified destiny within the cyberspace domain – a community poised for a shared future.
What is the WIC Global Youth Leadership Program?
The Global Youth Leadership Program (GYLP) stands as a flagship initiative under the umbrella of the WIC international organization. Its core objective revolves around identifying exceptional young individuals within the global Internet sector. The program’s focus is on staying closely attuned to the cutting-edge developments in Internet technology, industry dynamics, and governance practices. Through a comprehensive array of activities encompassing Training, Forum discussions, Dialogues, and Research endeavors, the GYLP strives to cultivate a space for youth engagement. In doing so, it aspires to construct a platform that fosters international exchange and collaboration, enabling young minds to mutually enrich their knowledge and insights.
Objectives of the WIC Global Youth Leadership Program
- Training: To organize high-end field research and training programs in different countries and regions, invite global Internet leaders to give lectures, and improve the skills and capabilities of young people;
- Forum: To organize the Global Youth Leadership Forum at the Wuzhen Summit every year, invite the youth leaders to give speeches on hot topics of the Internet, and build a platform for young people to share their voices;
- Dialogue: To organize thematic seminars and invite leading figures from government departments, enterprises, research institutes and other communities to carry out dialogues with young people and help them integrate into the “circle of friends” in the global Internet;
- Research: To design research in light of hot topics such as Internet technology, industry and governance, and organize young people to conduct research and submit outcomes.
Opportunities for GYLP Youth Representatives
- Attend, as a guest, the 2023 WIC Wuzhen Summit to be held in the fourth quarter of 2023.
- Speak at the Youth and Digital Future Sub-forum at the 2023 WIC Wuzhen Summit.
- Apply for round-trip air tickets provided by the organizers of the Wuzhen Summit and free catering and accommodation during the conference.
- Have the opportunity to engage in in-depth exchanges with high-level representatives of other international organizations, governments, global leading Internet companies, well-known experts and scholars, and senior officials of the WIC international organization during the Wuzhen Summit.
- Be invited to participate in other activities of the World Internet Conference and a series of GYLP activities.
- Receive a certificate as the youth representatives for the WIC GYLP.
- Have access to job opportunities at the WIC international organization on a priority basis.
Requirements to join the WIC Global Youth Leadership Program
The applicant shall be under the age of 45 and embrace the mission of the WIC international organization, have a strong sense of mission, actively spread and be willing to contribute to the concept of building a community with a shared future in cyberspace.
Have made achievements in the following fields related to the Internet and information and communication technology (ICT):
- Policy: Working in government departments, with rich work experience in the development of Internet policies and industry management in their own countries; or working in an Internet-related international organization, with rich experience in international exchanges and cooperation, deeply involved in the development of norms on the Internet, and actively promoting the process of Internet governance.
- Business: Serving as the head or high-level manager of a leading Internet enterprise; serving as the founder or head of an Internet start-up with strong leadership, innovation capability, and influence.
- Research: Having made achievements in the research of Internet technology, industry and governance, and obtained relevant honors and awards, technology patents, or published papers in important global academic journals.
- Public welfare: Serving as the head or high-level manager of a civil society or public welfare organization, with rich work experience in bridging the digital divide, enhancing digital skills and capabilities, utilizing digital technology to improve people’s well-being, and promoting sustainable social development.
The applicant shall have a global vision and be willing to participate in the youth community of the WIC, and contribute to its development, and have excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
How to Apply?
Please submit all the following required application documents before 24: 00, August 31, 2023 (GMT +8):
- Recommendation form: Each applicant needs to provide one recommendation form filled out by an Internet field prestigious institution or influential figure. The recommender should state the recommendation reasons according to the above Application Requirements and affix the official seal or signature. Download the recommendation form.
- Application form: The recommended candidate is requested to fill in all the required and necessary information. Download the application form.
- Supporting documents: All matters mentioned in the Application Form should have relevant supporting documents, including but not limited to certificate of employment (certificate of enrollment), academic credentials, personal honors and awards, the cover and signature page of research results, patent certificates, and public records of personal deeds.
- Video presentation and the transcript: Submit a video presentation and its transcript, including self-introduction and elaboration of relevant views on the Youth and Digital Future Sub-forum of the WIC Wuzhen Summit. Please keep the video no longer than 3 minutes.
Please compress all the application documents into a zip file and send to: [email protected] before 24:00 (GMT +8), August 31, 2023.
The Recommendation Form, Application Form, supporting documents, and video transcript should be merged into a PDF document in the form of scanned copies. The PDF document, video and the email subject should be named in the form of “Application for GYLP_Your Name”.
Application documents (including video presentation) should be prepared in English or in Chinese.
What are the Recruitment and Selection Process?
Phase I: Application (August)
Submit all the application documents as required before the application deadline.
Phase II: Review (September)
The WIC Secretariat will conduct preliminary review of the applicants based on the completeness of the application documents and the Requirements for the Applicants, and then organize relevant experts to carry out the review.
Phase III: Notification (October)
The WIC Secretariat will contact the finalists and communicate with them on the schedule of attending the WIC Wuzhen Summit, as well as specific matters such as making presentations in the Youth and Digital Future Sub-forum.
Phase IV: Participation (4th Quarter)
Selected candidates will attend the 2023 WIC Wuzhen Summit as official guests.
Are you interested to join the Estonian-Chinese Chamber of Commerce? Send an application.